Because sometimes you just need to get away for a weekend of nothingness, and the beach is one of my favorite places to go for that, last weekend my roommate, B, and I headed to Ocean Isle Beach for a relaxing and low-key couple of days full of beach time, no schedules, afternoon naps, reading, comfy clothes, chinese take-out, sunshine, resting, enjoying the little things, and chasing beauty. I left my big camera at home this time, but here are a few instagram shots from the trip…
1. I may have more stories of Holy Spirit moments from Guatemala to share at some point (because trust me, it was such a Holy Spirit led and filled trip that there are still many of them!), but my heart needed a break from sharing in this space. So because it’s Friday, a catch-all 5 things post seemed in order.
2. But speaking of Guatemala, have you read this post yet? You should. Seriously. The message is so far beyond me and the story is so worth hearing.
3. Have you noticed there’s a new schedule around here? The goal is new posts on Tuesdays and Fridays with the occasional third post thrown in if necessary. It’s a recent shift, but I like the rhythm of it so far. Tuesdays will be for devo thoughts and Fridays will be for anything goes.
4. It snowed last weekend, y’all! In typical Charlotte style, it snowed on Saturday afternoon and was pretty much completely melted by Sunday afternoon, but it was beautiful while it lasted. The photo is the view out my kitchen window.
5. This verse has been extremely close to my heart all week…
“…for we walk by faith, not by sight.”
2 Corinthians 5:7 (ESV)
It may not be the greatest photo, but it was such a fun night seeing “The Nutcracker” with my roommate and one of her brothers last week and uptown Charlotte was so festive that it’s joining the ranks of photo of the week anyway.
“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14 (ESV)
I just sat here in my office/writing space/study for far longer than can be considered appropriate trying to figure out what in the heck I should post for this week’s official photo of the week. You would think by week 22 I would plan a little better, but apparently not. I traveled with my family to Northern Virginia / Maryland for a wedding over the weekend, and while I do have a handful of photos from the occasion, none of them seemed quite right for the photo of the week.
But as I considered why I started this whole exercise to begin with, I was reminded that I had two main goals in forcing myself to use my camera for this photo of the week project:
1) to continue learning about & stretching my ability in photography
2) to take more photos of life as I see it
I prefer to use my dslr (I shoot with a Canon 50D for those who are curious) for the photo of the week as it pushes the limits of my technical know-how and I hesitate to post instagram photos (which I almost exclusively shoot with the camera on my phone) as that somehow seems like cheating.
But this week’s photo of the US Air Force Memorial near the Pentagon in Arlington, VA is from my instagram feed because although it’s not a great technical photo (I mean, it was taken from the interstate through the window of a moving vehicle), it just plain better represents life as I see it and my love for Washington, DC. And I’m finally okay with that…at least for this week.